File Your Thesis or Dissertation - Filing Fee Information
The Filing Fee
|Summary of Filing Fee Requirements, Effective Spring 2012|
|Eligibility||Both doctoral and master's students must have been registered the preceding quarter|
|Deadline (Domestic & International)||By the end of the 2nd week of classes for Fall, Winter and Spring term.
There is no deadline for Summer. The filing fee will be accepted up until the interim summer deadline (mid-September).
|Number of quarters a student can use filing fees||1|
|Continuous registration||Every graduate student must be continuously enrolled: that is, registered each quarter, be on an official leave of absence or on filing fee.|
|Lapsed status (if a student is not registered, on an official leave, or on filing fee)||Student must apply for readmission|
|Retroactive Filing Fee Petitions||By exception, and only in extraordinary circumstances|
If a student has completed, while registered, all requirements for a degree except the filing of the thesis or dissertation and/or the final examination (master’s comprehensive or doctoral final oral examination), the student may be eligible to pay a Filing Fee during the quarter in which the degree is to be awarded instead of registering. Four conditions must be satisfied to be eligible for this fee:
- All formal requirements for the degree, except for filing the thesis/dissertation and/or taking the master's
comprehensive/doctoral final oral examination, must be completed before the first day of classes;
- Since last being registered and up to the first day of classes, the combined use of University facilities
and faculty time must not exceed 12 hours;
- During the quarter in question, the thesis/dissertation committee suggested only stylistic and/or
typographical changes in the thesis/dissertation OR, in the case of master's comprehensive examinations,
the faculty only administered the comprehensive examination; and
- The student must have been registered in the previous quarter.
Procedure for Student to Establish Eligibility to Pay the Filing Fee
- The student completes a Filing Fee application signed by the chair or departmental graduate adviser and,
if filing of a thesis or dissertation, the chair of the thesis committee or doctoral committee, certifying that
all the above requirements have been met. Forms for this purpose are available below or in the department.
- After obtaining the required signatures, the student (or the department on behalf of the student) submits the form to
Academic Services, 1255 Murphy Hall.
- If the Graduate Division approves the Filing Fee application, the student is billed for the amount of the fee.
- Students paying the Filing Fee are not eligible for the privileges normally accorded regularly registered students,
such as the use of University facilities, other than the attention of the faculty necessary for the final reading of the
dissertation or thesis and/or the taking of a doctoral final oral examination or master's comprehensive examination.
- A student may not use this fee for the purpose of taking course work of any kind.
- If the student is a fellowship or assistantship holder, an alien with a certain visa or one whose status depends on maintenance
of a particular course load, the student is not eligible to use the Filing Fee.
- The Filing Fee is not a substitute for registration for purposes of deferring student loans.
- If, after paying the Filing Fee in any one quarter, as a candidate, a student should find it necessary to use the educational
facilities of the University in any way other than requiring the attention of the faculty sufficient for a final reading of the dissertation
or thesis or the taking of a doctoral final oral examination or master's comprehensive examination, the student must resume registration as a student.
If this should occur during a quarter in which the student has already paid the Filing Fee, the Filing Fee payment can be refunded.
- The Filing Fee will not be refunded because the dissertation or thesis was not filed or the examination not taken or passed.
- For students with lapsed status, the student must be readmitted to register as a student. Readmission involves completing an online
application. Please consult with your department for more information.
Filing Fee Application Form
- Filing Fee Application
The Filing Fee may be used in lieu of registration if all formal requirements for the degree, except for taking the final oral examination (if required), filing the dissertation/thesis or taking the comprehensive examination, are met prior to the first day of instruction of the term. Students may use the Filing Fee Application only if they were registered for the previous academic term.
Excerpted from Standards and Procedures.