Postdoctoral Scholars Union Representation Information
Postdoctoral Scholars play a dual role as fellows engaged in mentored advanced training and as employees or fellows contributing to UCLA's research programs.
Under the Higher Education Employer-Employee Relations Act (HEERA), employees have the right to organize and form a collective bargaining unit. In November 2008, the International Union, United Automobile, Aerospace and Agricultural Implement Workers of America (UAW) was recognized as the exclusive representative of UC postdoctoral scholars. The unit includes postdoctoral scholars at all campuses.
The United Auto Workers (UAW) and the University of California Regents jointly announced on August 12, 2010 that UC postdoctoral scholars voted to ratify their first union contract.
The UC - UAW Contract is effective through September 30, 2015.
- Postdoctoral Scholar's Union Contract Announcement (PDF-30KB)
- Exclusive Representation of UC Postdoctoral Scholars (PDF-29KB)
- Update on Postdoctoral Scholar Negotiations (PDF-33KB)
- UAW Local 5810 Postdoctoral Scholar Deduction Authorization Form (PDF-70KB)
- UCOP Information on the Postdoctoral Scholars Unit
- Frequently Asked Questions About Union Representation (PDF-28KB)
- Union access to the workplace (PDF-12KB)
- Higher Education Employer-Employee Relations Act (HEERA)
- The Collective Bargaining Process
- The Negotiation Process
- The Representation Election Process
- The Decertification Process
- Existing Bargaining Units
Notice: University policies, procedures and applicable collective bargaining agreements shall supersede information in this document or elsewhere on this site.