Skip to sections. Skip to content.


UCLA Graduate Division

Privileges and Courtesies for Visiting Scholars

Obtaining Access to University Facilities

Scholars are instructed to obtain a UCLA BruinCard for access to University privileges and facilities. The BruinCard is obtained by taking a valid government issued ID to 123 Kerckhoff Hall. The BruinCard also can be used as a debit card all over campus.

Library Privileges

Visiting scholars are entitled to the use of all the libraries on campus and the BruinCard functions as the library card. To activate the BruinCard for library access, present it at the Young Research Library, College Library, or the Biomedical Library.

Auditing Courses and Seminars

Visiting scholars are not students, therefore they do not pay fees nor do they register with the Office of the Registrar. With the exception of summer school classes, visiting scholars may audit courses and seminars with the consent of the instructor. No academic credit is given. If scholars wish to take regular University courses and receive credit, they are required to seek admission to the University and pay the normal student registration fees; status as a visiting scholar is then terminated.

Laboratory and Office Facilities

Within University policy, visiting scholars may be granted use of laboratory and other University facilities at the discretion of the departments involved. In many departments, however, space is limited and offices cannot be provided.

Faculty Center Privileges

UCLA visiting scholars are eligible to become members and use the services of the UCLA Faculty Center. Please visit the front office at the Faculty Center for a membership application.

University Housing

Visiting scholars are not eligible to reside in University Housing.

Off-Campus Housing

The University office providing assistance with locating housing in vicinity of UCLA is the Community Housing Office. For an annual membership fee, you can obtain current listings of a variety of housing options near campus.


For assistance or further information, please contact Academic Services, Graduate Division, 1255 Murphy Hall, 142801; (310) 825-3819 or